I wanted to share a project that I have been working on for the last two days. I decided to enter the General Finishes Design Challenge 2018. This will be my first time entering the contest, so I was a bit stressed but also excited! I chose the “Coastal Blue” category, because I have always loved blues and the calmness they reflect. UPDATE: I did not place in the contest, but I will be back next year!
Here is the dresser. She was pretty beat up. The top was in horrible condition, with a piece of the trim missing. The bottom trim pieces were in bad shape as well. However, the drawers were all functional, and were in pretty decent shape. She was missing a piece of hardware, but that’s an easy fix.
After pondering for a day or so, I knew the dresser would be a perfect candidate for a faux card catalog look because of all the drawers and the different sizes. I knew this would be a great piece for the Coastal Blue category.
I paint color I chose was Summertime Blue, by General Finishes. This is a very light blue, cool color. When I opened the can I could hear the waves hitting against the rocks. Well, maybe not, but one can dream!
Before I started the makeover, the Hubs did a few repairs for me (gotta love him!). He removed the old molding on the bottom and the sides and replaced it with new wood. What a difference already!
He then, with his woodworking superpowers, built a new top for the dresser. He added the new top right over the existing one. He also had to cut thin strips to go along the outside of the new top and added a piece to the back. He is such a genius! Here is what it looks like, I am so googly eyed!
He then cut strips to replace the bottom and sides.
I then decided to add feet to the bottom to lift it off the ground slightly. The Hubs constructed wood squares out of 4×4’s that we would attach the feet too. I chose a small bun feet. I did not want extreme height, just a slight raise off the floor.
Here is the dresser with the feet added.
I gave all the new wood a good sanding with 220 grit sandpaper to smooth it out. I gave the dresser a good cleaning using my Dixie Belle White Lightning Cleaner. This stuff is amazing at removing all the grime and grit. Just follow the directions on the container.
I decided to use English Chestnut as my stain choice for the top. I did not want it too dark since I was going for the coastal look.
While waiting for the stain to dry, I removed all the hardware from the doors. The hardware I chose I found at D. Lawless Hardware. They have amazing prices and an amazing selection. I chose the card catalog hardware and four of the pumpkin bronze knobs. These only come in a dark color, so I painted all the hardware white using General Finishes Chalk White.
I gave the dresser two coats of the Summertime Blue, allowing 24 hours to dry in between coats. I then lightly sanded, and distressed around the drawers and sides. I sealed the dresser with General Finishes Flat Out Flat Water Based Top Coat. I attached the hardware and was super excited about the way it turned out! A $30.00 dresser is now beautiful again!