Hello, all my fellow Junkers! I wanted to share my curbside bookcase find. Yep, someone actually was tossing it! Can you believe it?
As you can see, it was blah. A big brown, well square. I turned it upside down and sideways trying to figure out what I could create. After a lot of pondering, I decided I would repurpose it into a farmhouse shelf.
I started the project by removing the back. It was yucky, and I knew it needed replacing. I also removed the shelf and the fasteners that hold the shelf in place.
I then gave the entire piece and the shelf a light sanding by hand with 220 grit sandpaper to scruff up the surface a bit. This allows the paint to adhere like its suppose too. I know people preach no prep, no prep, but I am here to tell ya, prepping pays off in the end. Trust me.
I cleaned the piece with TSP to remove all the dust and grime. I decided to paint the piece white, and heavily distress it. I was going for the farmhouse feel. The back would be a piece of beadboard that you can get at Home Depot for around $10 bucks. It’s a small sheet, not the entire full sheet, so it makes it easier to work with.
My paint choice was Dixie Belle Chalk Mineral Paint in the color Cotton (find it here). I painted the piece, and the shelf, keeping my brush slightly damp. This helps the paint go on smoother and cuts down on brush strokes. After a 24-hour drying period, I applied my second coat.
I allowed the second coat to dry overnight. I then heavily distressed the corners and the ends, where you might see normal wear and tear. I did this by hand with a piece of 120 grit sand paper. Doing it by hand allows you to control how much of the paint you remove. I also sanded the entire piece and shelf lightly with 220 grit for a smooth finish.
Here she is distressed and staged. But I felt she was missing something.
She needed to be lifted off the floor. Casters had crossed my mind, but they were so expensive these days. So I decided to ponder a day or two.
After visiting our local Home Depot for other items, I was scanning isles as the Hubs purchased wood. And low and behold, I found these casters! And less than $6 bucks each SCORE! I was so excited! You could also paint these if you wanted them black.
The Hubs cut four pieces of wood out of an old 4×4 piece. He added one piece to each corner by using wood screws. He then screwed the caster into the 4×4 piece.
Now look! So much better!
Curb side finds can redone and reloved! If your out and about, don’t pass up the freebie!